Do you need tenant liability insurance?

5 minutes

All of our content is approved by our in-house advisory board of experts

If you rent through a private landlord and live in their property, you have a responsibility for the upkeep of its condition.

As part of your tenancy agreement, it’ll be specified that you have a responsibility to look after the property itself, as well as its fixtures and fittings. That’s where tenant liability insurance comes in.

In the event a property is damaged, either by you or someone visiting the home you rent, it can be incredibly costly to put right. For that reason, it’s important to have tenant liability insurance in place to protect you and your landlord in case of damage. 

In this guide, we look at your responsibilities as a tenant, as well as exploring what tenant liability insurance covers, and how it offers peace of mind to both tenants and landlords.

What is tenant liability insurance?

When you sign a tenancy agreement, you’re agreeing to do more than simply pay your landlord rent each month. You’re also assuring the landlord that you’ll look after the property, and its fixtures and fittings, while you live there. 

If you don’t adhere to this agreement and part of the property becomes damaged, it can leave you severely out of pocket. It could mean forfeiting all or part of your deposit, or having to foot the bill for extensive damage. 

Tenant liability insurance is designed to protect you against these risks. It’s a type of insurance product that covers you for the cost of damage caused to parts of the building or fixtures stated as your responsibility in your tenancy agreement. In a nutshell, it covers you for any necessary repairs caused by a single event, up to a certain value which may help protect your deposit.

This type of insurance is different from a standard home contents policy for tenants. It covers the landlords’ fixtures and fittings, while contents insurance will cover your own possessions while you live in that property. However, at Flow, tenant liability is built into our home contents insurance for renters, covering you up to a maximum of £10,000. 

What does tenant liability insurance cover?

Tenant liability insurance won’t cover all damage. For example, it doesn’t cover general wear and tear to fixtures and fittings in a property, such as multiple scuffs and marks to walls, that have happened on numerous occasions, or the cost of restoring bathroom tiles which have become stained over time. The cover won’t cover accidental damage caused by a tenant accidentally dropping, spilling or breaking something either, unless this accidental damage cover is added as an optional extra. Overall, the cover is for single events that cause one off damage. You’ll also be responsible for paying the policy excess.

Tenant’s Liability insurance will cover fixtures and fittings such as:

  • Windows and doors
  • Fitted kitchens
  • Bath and shower
  • Toilets and sinks

Tenant’s Liability insurance covers the cost of repairing or replacing items and fittings in the event of a mishap caused by the tenant like water from an overflowing bath damaging floors, or a kitchen replacement after a fire. 

Having tenant liability insurance when you live in rented accommodation can be a way to protect yourself from the risk of losing your deposit – or having to pay a lump sum to repair the landlord’s property as the result of an insured event that caused damage. 

Do I need tenant liability insurance to rent a property? 


Legally speaking, tenant liability insurance is not required to move into a property in the UK. However, that doesn’t automatically mean you won’t need it. 

Depending on who you’re renting from, some landlords and letting agents will require you to have tenant liability insurance as part of your tenancy agreement. It’s worth checking with them before you apply to rent, so you know what the expectations are in terms of cover required. 

If you already have contents insurance, it’s also worth double-checking your policy to see if it includes tenant liability insurance as a standard offering or if this is an optional add on. In some cases, contents insurance only covers the cost of your own belongings that are damaged or stolen, but certain policies will bundle the tenant liability and home contents cover together.  

It’s also important to note that you’re not responsible for the building in general. Your landlord is responsible for purchasing buildings insurance. This covers the cost of repairs to the property’s structure, as well as damage to sheds, garages, pipes, cables and fences. 


How to get tenant liability insurance

In many cases, tenant liability insurance will be included as part of your home contents insurance. However, it’s important to check this is the case, so you have peace of mind that you’re covered against damage caused to your landlords’ fixtures and fittings, as well as your own. 

It’s also worth considering whether you want any extras to be included as part of your policy. For example, accidental damage is not always included as part of most tenant liability policies and may need to be added on. This gives you additional cover for things like broken windows or cracking the bathroom sink. 

Our Flow renter’s insurance not only saves you from paying a large amount for damage to your landlord’s fixtures and fittings’, but also covers your own items. It works as a combined contents and tenants liability insurance policy – and also offers coverage on up to 10 specified personal belongings when you’re away from home. 

What’s more, it’s a flexible monthly subscription that you can easily transfer to a new address if you decide to move and rent somewhere else. 



Is the application for tenant liability and contents insurance complicated? 

No, we’ll only ask you a few simple questions so we can send you a quote. As a tenant, we don’t expect you to know the property’s history or what type of locks it has, so we won’t ask. 

How do I make a claim?

All you have to do is sign in to your account and log the claim. Our dedicated claim handlers will get in touch with you shortly after and guide you through the process with care. 

Can I cancel my insurance at any time?

Our Flow monthly renter’s insurance is a rolling subscription and can be cancelled at any time. What’s more, there are no admin or cancellation fees, or monthly interest rates.

Ready to get started? Find out more about how we can help and what coverage you can get with our Flow monthly renter’s insurance