Renting with housemates? How to cover your stuff

All of our content is approved by our in-house advisory board of experts

It may be a shared house, but your stuff is yours. So here’s how Flow can keep your belongings safe and sound while you’re renting… 

  • Housemate hiccups: They happen, but we can help
  • We’ll insure your stuff while you’re renting or in a house share
  • From your tech or TV and even your jewellery, we’ve got it covered

Do I need contents insurance if I’m renting?

Whether you’re renting with friends or living in a house share with fellow professionals, we know it can be tricky when it comes to who owns what, who pays for what and who’s in charge of what, but that’s where we come in. At Flow, we’re here to make sure the stuff that belongs to you is safe and sound; from furniture to phones, tech and TV’s, we’ve got it all covered with our monthly subscription contents insurance for renters. So, in what situation would you call on us for a helping hand?

I’ve dropped my phone on the bathroom floor…

We’ve all been there, that moment of pure panic when you pick up your phone to check if the screen has survived or smashed. If you find yourself faced with the latter, you’ll want to know whether Flow can cover you for a replacement or repair, right? Well, if you've added accidental damage to your policy or specified your phone as an item you want to cover away from home, then yes we can. We’ll insure your phone for accidental damage such as dropping it on the floor or down the toilet because let’s be honest, it’s basically another limb for a lot of us, so it deserves to be properly protected.

I’ve lost my favourite piece of jewellery…

It’s awful when you lose something, you start retracing your steps, you question when you last saw it, and you wonder why you ever took it out of the house in the first place. It’s a stressful time, especially if the item was of sentimental value. We can’t replace the sentiment, but we can make sure that you’re able to replace it in the physical sense. So, if you’ve been out for the day and you come home to find out you’re without your ring, necklace, bracelet or earrings we’ll cover you for the cost of the lost jewellery as long as you specified the item for cover at home and outside of your home when you took out your policy.
Getting insurance when you’re renting with a friend can be confusing, how can you make sure that all your stuff is safe? Flow Renters simplifies the process with a product that gives renters back the power with fuss free, flexible cover they can trust.

I’ve spilled red wine on my sofa…

Music on, wine in hand, dancing with friends…and then OOPS. It happens to the best of us. You may not let it ruin your time with friends, but you’ll definitely want to know that you can get it sorted as soon as possible, especially if your housemates are less than impressed with the stain! If you've added accidental damage to your policy, we'll cover any accidental damage to your furniture such as spilled food or drinks, so you can rest assured that the sofa will be repaired or replaced… it’ll be like it never happened (as long as your housemates don’t bring it up!)


My DIY attempt failed and a shelf has fallen…

Ok, a day of DIY can go one of two ways, we either come out feeling like a fully-fledged builder, ready to build our own home and take on the world… or, more likely, we come out of it sweating, searching for the missing bolts and never wanting to do it again. Either way, if you've added accidental damage cover to your policy, we'll cover you for DIY disasters. So, if your new blogger worthy shelf, complete with artwork, houseplants and framed photos, ends up in a soil infused mess on the floor… we’ll cover you for the damage. Just make sure you check with your landlord or letting agent before drilling into any walls!


We’ve been burgled…

It’s not a scenario any of us want to think about, but unfortunately it does happen. So if it does, you’ll want to know that you’ve got a helping hand to get things back on track. We’ll cover your belongings, so if they’re stolen or vandalised in any way, we will help you to replace them and start to get things back to normal. The most important thing is that you’re safe after a burglary, so once everyone in your home is safe and you’ve called the police, please get in touch with us to make a claim.


I’ve spilled coffee on my laptop…

From Uni assignments, to working from home, or even personal admin, we all rely heavily on our laptops to get things done. Sometimes though, we’re so in the zone (or shattered from staying up all night to get things done), that we end up with a latte in our lap, or worse, a cappuccino over our computer. Either way, we know these things happen, that's what our accidental damage optional extra is for. So, if you find yourself in a position where you’ve accidentally spilled your drink on your laptop or desktop, we’ll cover you to repair or replace it. You’ll be back at it in no time, just remember to back up your work... even we can’t replace that!

Housemate hurdles and hiccups

House sharing can be sociable and fun, not to mention how helpful it is to split bills and household chores with your housemates, but it’s not without its sticky situations. So, with Flow's monthly subscription contents insurance for renters, you can rest assured that your personal stuff is protected.


Ready to get a Flow Renters quote?

Now you know what’s what, you might be thinking about insuring your stuff, right? Contents insurance, renters insurance, tenants insurance... whatever you want to call it, we’ll cover your belongings from every day accidents, theft, fire, floods and more. You can even add personal possessions cover to protect your stuff when you’re out and about. So if flexible, subscription insurance sounds good to you, let’s get started! Ready to get a Flow Renters quote?

Oh, and while you’re at it, feel free to check out our Flow Annual car insurance too!

Now you know the basics, let's get started...

Get a Flow Renters quote