How to tax your car

2 Minutes

All of our content is approved by our in-house advisory board of experts

• What’s a V5C?
• How do I use my log book to tax my car?
• How to tax a car without a V5


You’ve just got your new vehicle, but before you can legally drive it on the road, you ask yourself, how do I pay the tax on my car? Well, let’s start by finding your V5C…

What is a V5 or V5C?

The V5C is a vehicle log book detailing all the really important information about the car and who owns it. It’s officially called a V5C but it’s also known as a V5, or simply, ‘the log book’. If you’re taxing your car or selling it, you really need to know where this is.

How do you tax a car you’ve just bought?

The easiest way is to follow this link to the website. Make sure you have your V5C and your V11 (a recent reminder from the DVLA) to hand before starting.
If you have any trouble, contact the DVLA vehicle tax service over the phone – which you may be charged for – on: 0300 123 4321

This service is open 24 hours a day, but you won’t be able to pay by Direct Debit over the phone.

Who needs to tax their vehicle?

Everyone. Even if you don’t have to pay anything (for example, if you’re exempt through owning an electric vehicle or having a disability).


Can I tax my car without a V5?

Essentially, no, you can’t. Don’t despair though, because you can order a new one. This service will cost you £25 and usually takes five days to arrive.

Head to your local Post Office with your V11 and your most recent MOT certificate. If you don’t have your V11 either, you’ll have to request one of these from the DVLA as well.

If you’d prefer, you can apply for a new V5C over the phone instead, but this can take up to four weeks to arrive.

If you’d like to share this article, remember to tag us @flowinsuranceuk on Facebook or Instagram and don’t forget the hashtag #GoWithTheFlow